In the hustle and bustle of my morning routine or lack thereof, purposeful time spent with God shoves its way toward the bottom of my list of to-dos. As the night sky greets me, the stars remind me that I’ve spent my entire day without connecting with God.
Why is that? How do I “make time for the creator of time?” Even though quality time is my top “Love Language,” I find it ironic that quality time with God loses its importance.
There is literally nothing more important you could do today than to spend meaningful time alone with God. -Francis Chan
Think about your five senses: the ability to see, touch, hear, taste, and smell. Oh how easy it can be to take these gifts from God for granted.
What if you applied your senses to your morning routine as a way of carving out time with God?
- Give me eyes to see others as you see them, to look at others with compassion and intentionality.
- Create time out of my schedule to notice your creation.
- Protect my eyes from lust, deceit, and corruption.
- Give me clean hands.
- I surrender my hands to you, lifting them high in praise.
- Release my fists.
- Provide hands to hold knowing that you hold me in the palm of your loving and guiding hands.
- Give me ears to listen to others.
- Help me to be still in the silence and hear your gentle voice.
- Captivate my ears with the sounds of your creation.
- Shut out the pessimism, negativity, and lies.
- Give me the words to say when I feel helpless or inadequate.
- Let no unwholesome thing come out of my mouth.
- Let my lips praise you, boldly proclaiming the gospel.
- Equip me with words of affirmation, truth, kindness, and love.
- Help me to speak out against prejudice, racism, sexism, and social injustice.
- I desire to taste and see that you are good.
- Give me opportunities to bask in your calming and peaceful aroma.
- Help me to exhale the impure, confessing my sin, and inhale the pure, breathing in your Holy Spirit and surrendering control of my life to you.